Presentation

One thing that interested me about the presentation is that more and more chairs are designed (including using different materials)to manage to fit the human body and relax them instead of causing uncomfortablity.

Matthew Ronay 's work reminds me of human organs after the outer body ---- skin, muscle and bones are gone.

When doing the observation, I noticed the back of the chair played a key role in the whole "people sitting in the chair" process. Almost everyone leaned on it when sitting, not to mention those various stuff put on it ---- bag/coat/.... It felt like chair is not a seperated object but a wearable thing like a suit of armour and you like just stand up with the chair sticking firmly to your back.

This gave me two different but connected ideas about the position that worn-out people leaning on the chair. One is to imagine the chair melting with a person on it ---- just like a "Chair Potato". The other one is the twisted body just for a good and relaxing position.

Hot metal on ice

When you put a boiling metal ball on the ice, the ice will quickly melt as the shape of the ball. When it stops, you can see a clear shape ---- just like what a person can do to a sofa after long-time sitting.